Thursday, August 2, 2007

I remembered!

Wow - that really did drive me crazy! I spent the next couple of hours trying to figure out what else I had done new with the Coachella tank top... And then it hit me - it didn't really have to do with the actual knitting - just the prep for knitting. I had heard that you could dip the plastic wire of the circular needles into hot water and then they wouldn't curl as much. I did that with the metal size 7s with which I started the piece (Mrs. Johnston would be so proud! I just typed this sentence ending with "with" - but her HS grammar training overpowered me, and I felt guilty, and so I rearranged the sentence so as to not end with "with." Wait - was that a run-on sentence?). It did work for a while, but they finally returned to their original shape. The bamboo size 9s I'm using right now I did not dip in hot water - I heard that it might swell the wood. So the Coachella is a little ball in the middle of the circular needle's curl....

Also, I realized I was doing something else new. I've never really wound the yarn around my left hand to help control the tension while knitting - but I've found that if I wrap the yarn around my pinky and then around my index finger, it really does help! Gosh! and even when purling, I wrap it a couple times around my index finger. I've read several knitting books that recommend doing this - and I'd tried it out, too, but I'd always dropped the wrapped yarn, thinking it didn't help me that much. Now, it's almost a habit to pick up the yarn like that. Maybe I'm making big strides....

Amanda, the NH Knitting Mama, has designed a really cute candy bag that looks like it will be a fun knit. I think I'm going to start one up, so I can stop stressing about the fact that the Coachella won't be ready in 2 weeks, and so I can get entered for some swag!!! Check out her site here for more info!

I just heard from my sock-knitting mommy friend, and I think we're going to knit these socks from Knitty.com. I am so excited!!! They will be my first socks, and I love short socks (whatever you call them - ankle socks? anklets?). I think I want to have them started up so I can knit them while lying on the beach in St. Thomas in 2 weeks. We'll see if I really want to knit while lying on the beach - at least I'll be able to knit them while flying down there!

1 comment:

NH Knitting Mama said...

DUH, I don't know if I commented already or not... I read this post already, though, today.

St. Thomas! Lucky girl!